mbd2.com Forum Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Balloon Entertainer's Post & Tips > What entertainers have seen and heard
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   StoreStore  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery  Register Register  Login Login

Through A Childs Eyes...long thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Balloon Wizard View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

Quote Balloon Wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Through A Childs Eyes...long thread
    Posted: 12 July 2004 at 12:31am

Today I twisted for the second year inside a womens penitentiary.  This time, I worked in the maximum security unit. 

I'm still assimilating it all. It is such a charge to do this event, and I cannot explain it to my husband let alone to you.  It has to be my all time favorite.

There are moments when I wanted to cry, but managed to hold back the tears.  Other times...I was just happy and excited to be there...like I drank love potion #9 or something.  Sometimes...I got goosebumps, and it was hot outside.

How do you explain the feelings you have when you are looking in the faces of women from every ethnic background and all ages.  Why is this grandmother here?  She doesn't look like a criminal...what could have gone so terribly wrong that she ended up in a place like this?  Look at her grandchild holding her hand and loving her like that.  How does this affect the children of the inmates?  I can't count the times the inmates held onto their children and told them openly they loved them.

What are the children thinking/feeling?  What a travesty to have their moms in a place like that.  Gawd...the razzing they must get from uncaring peers. But...look at the care givers that brought them here.  At least these kids have a support group, or they wouldn't be there.  What about the kids that weren't brought.

Did you see that guy?  Is he the husband/significant other of this woman?  They have a child (or several) together.  How is this man coping?  Is he waiting for her?  That would be hard.

Throw in a little anger.  Yes...I felt that too.  Today is my nephews birthday.  We raised him for a short time in his life...and guess where he is today?  Yep...prison.  It seemed strange to be inside a prison on his birthday knowing he was inside one somewhere else.  He had so much going for him...why did he get stupid?

Then the co-ordinator of the event came over a talked to me.  This is only the second time in the United States they have had anything like this.  The first time...was last year at the same prison (and I was there too).  The goal of this Rotary club is to make a change in the lives of the children of inmates.  To try and do something positive to stop the cycle.  The statistics are high for the children of inmates to end up in the same place...after that all I heard was...blah blah blah....because I flashed back to my nephew.  His mom...was in prison most of his life.  His dad, my brother...was in Arabia waiting for his statute of limitations to run out.  Yep...I understand it all too well.  What can anyone do to stop the cycle?  I don't think any ONE person can, but perhaps as a community of people...we can.  At least we can try.

A woman...I believe to be the wife of the co-ordinator came up and requested an Alien Hitch hiker.  She wanted to take it to a photographer for a picture.  She's writing a book about this program.  Wow...does that mean I'll be in the book?  Dang...wish I were 80 pounds lighter.  Glad I wore my best clown outfit...at least I fit in it now.  I did look good...didn't I?

Overall...I'm really glad I was there.  Hope I can do it next year too! 

Well...there's definately more I could say, but I won't.  Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Patricia

warren View Drop Down
09-09**

Quote warren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2004 at 9:43am

Hi there Twitch, that was a great post.  I got tear in my eye reading it.  I often hope that I am making a differece in peoples lives with the balloons that I make.

Warren

warren
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Magical Balloon-dude - Author, book

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2004 at 10:57am

Interesting program, how did you hear about it?

Dale

Balloon Wizard View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

Quote Balloon Wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2004 at 11:05am

The program Through A Childs Eye's (T.A.C.E.) was started in Wilsonville, Oregon by the Rotary Club.  If you want more information, I can give you the coordinator's name/email.

Patricia

JAMZ View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
02-09~

Quote JAMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2004 at 12:33pm

After reading some of the stories that were posted i decided to post one

About two years ago Idid a festival of clowns to raise money for cancer and there was a girl who said the giant sunglasses i had were cool  Since i have a couple of dozen of them without thinking I gave them to her

Three weeks later I got a call to let me know she had passed away and her mother wanted me to know that she was never without those stupid glasses  and she would be buried with them

This was the day that Idecided to take clowning serious

I don,t think but I am anyway
Punkin View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
02-12

Quote Punkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2004 at 1:14pm
Wow! Great stories, you guys! I do a thing for kids with Krabbe's disease, and it's the same thing. After you give them a balloon or paint their faces, they look at you like you are the best thing that's ever happened to them. I have my special charities........I call them my "pet charities" and I do as much as I can to help them every year! We should all be proud to be in the business of making people happy! Here's to CLOWNING!!!    PUNKIN
A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.....Chuckles the Clown.....the Mary Tyler Moore Show
 Post Reply Post Reply