mbd2.com Forum Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Balloon Entertainer's Post & Tips > Introduce
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   StoreStore  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery  Register Register  Login Login

Hi I'm Steven

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zoomalata View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Quote zoomalata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi I'm Steven
    Posted: 05 October 2012 at 1:34pm
Hello Everybody,

Steven Dickinson here. I'm a magician and balloon artist located in Appleton, Wisconsin.

I originally started my craft back in the 80's in Northern Illinois.

I had stopped performing professionally for a while but now I'm back in business for 6 years.

Have a wonderful day,

Steven
Steven Dickinson
Zoomalata Magic
Appleton, Wisconsin
Magician and Balloon Artist
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Magical Balloon-dude - Author, book

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2012 at 8:41am
Welcome Steven

Which skill are you focusing on - Magical or Balloons what is your passion?

Dale
zoomalata View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Quote zoomalata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2012 at 12:28pm
Excellent question. My passion is entertaining people and uplifting their lives.

I know, I know that wasn't in the question but that is more like it. When I do birthday parties for kids it works out to be half and half.

My main focus is has been on magic but balloon art has always seemed to be a part of it. This whole year I have had the attitude and desire to get away from twisting just the 20 basic animals/hats/etc.

It has been a fun ride and I'm looking forward to learning more.
Steven Dickinson
Zoomalata Magic
Appleton, Wisconsin
zoomalata View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Quote zoomalata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 3:50pm
I'm posting this to remind you there is a pending approval post. An answer to Dale's question
Steven Dickinson
Zoomalata Magic
Appleton, Wisconsin
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 4:31pm
Thanks for the poke Steve, missed your reply.

I've know many magicians that have worked balloons into their act. Are you looking to incorporate balloons into your magic show or just looking to expand your balloon skills and pickup the odd balloon job here and there. 

zoomalata View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Quote zoomalata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 6:05pm
My plan is to create another income stream through balloon jobs. I'm especially interested in creating a show of just balloon creations.
Steven Dickinson
Zoomalata Magic
Appleton, Wisconsin
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 8:26am
The "A" typical balloon show is story telling with balloons.

Steven do you have a market your looking at?  Schools, Libraries, Fairs, Fests, indoor / outdoor - each venue requires something a little different and before you jump in it you should figure out what market you want to attack.  This way you can build a show that works for that industry.

Dale
zoomalata View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Quote zoomalata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 12:54pm
Dale,
Sorry to get back so late. I did not have a market in mind before you asked. Now, I'm not sure where I want to head. Libraries might be the easiest to start with since many follow their states summer reading program theme.

Steven Dickinson
Zoomalata Magic
Appleton, Wisconsin
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 10:00pm
Steve most almost every library uses a theme. You need to start marketing your show soon. Many libraries will/have started booking or gathering information about shows. So you need to find out what theme they are looking for and build a show that meets their needs. This will be the quickest way to get a show.

Libraries are tight group and talk among each other. So don't expect a lot of work in the first year. Many like to hire the same entertainer over and over just with a new show, while others rotate act each years.

Dale
zoomalata View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Quote zoomalata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 6:37am
Hi Dale,

Thanks for the tips. I have already started marketing for my magic show. I performed in 2011 SRP for the first time with my magic. Last year was a disaster because I didn't market. A hard, hard lesson to learn.

One thing I noticed too, at least up here in NE Wisconsin is some libraries are so small they rotate in their library system on the paid acts. One year one library will have the funds the next year their sister library will have the funds.

I'm thinking of having a balloon section in my show as a jumping off point. Most of the magic is planned already.

Thanks again.
Steven Dickinson
Zoomalata Magic
Appleton, Wisconsin
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2012 at 5:06pm
Steve

What is the theme they using in WI.  Maybe we can brainstorm some ideas? 

Dale
zoomalata View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Quote zoomalata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2012 at 5:17pm
The theme is Dig Into Reading. I thought about a shovel. Maybe a hard hat.

Steven Dickinson
Zoomalata Magic
Appleton, Wisconsin
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2012 at 8:06am
Steve - what about animals that dig?  Hence, Balloon Animals ;0)
zoomalata View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Quote zoomalata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2012 at 12:10pm
Oh, boy, that's too simple for me to take in :P
Steven Dickinson
Zoomalata Magic
Appleton, Wisconsin
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2012 at 10:23am
You can make nearsighted bob the rabbit and use him in your magic routine, but also say how carrots help your eyes and reading strengthens them. Reading under the wrong light hurts your eyes and use the crazy eyeball balloons.   Just some thoughts.

Dale
zoomalata View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Quote zoomalata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2013 at 5:11pm
Well, last night finished off my Library Summer Reading Magic program. Thanks for your help Dale. I ended up creating a dog out of 350s, Digory the Treasure Hunting Dog. I wrote a story around him so it was a storytelling routine while creating a multi-balloon dog. I also added music in the background for effect.

Thanks again,

Steven
Steven Dickinson
Zoomalata Magic
Appleton, Wisconsin
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2013 at 10:56am
Steven

Thanks for the update.  Glade everything worked out fine.  I love hearing success stories.

Dale
 Post Reply Post Reply