mbd2.com Forum Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Entertainer's Stories > Article Discussions
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   StoreStore  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery  Register Register  Login Login

Facebook vs. Marketing PT.2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
warren View Drop Down
09-09**

Quote warren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Facebook vs. Marketing PT.2
    Posted: 27 March 2011 at 5:47pm
   I wanted to add this to Dale's post "Facebook vs. Marketing" but his topic was a poll and I could not reply.  I could not vote either.  I am not sure why. 
   It was an interesting article, if you want to read more from the author you can get free instalments from "DaliyLit".  Here is a link to the business section that has 2 of his books.  http://www.dailylit.com/tags/business 
   I think that Facebook is a colossal waist of time.  I have a website, an email address, a yellow pages add, An add on Kijiji (free site) and I tag all my YouTube videos with my business name.  If people can not find me using one of those I do not think a sixth way will help.
   I just did a search on Google.  I types in "Saskatoon Balloon twister", that is where I live.  I could be found 5 times on the first page.  That pages had 10 links.
warren
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Magical Balloon-dude - Author, book

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2011 at 8:22am
Warren

Just a stat that I heard the other day. . . half the people in the US have a facebook page.  That means most people spend more time on facebook then searching the web.  Look to the web far faster then looking in the yellow pages.  You're choosing a very large community not to participate in.  Consider, 1,000's of people could watch your YouTube videos in facebook,  So before you say it a waist of time. . . take a serious look at its potential and you'll see its a market you need to learn about.

Just my thoughts

Dale
warren View Drop Down
09-09**

Quote warren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2011 at 1:48pm
   Sorry Dale I still do not see time spent on FaceBook as time well spent.  I do not know anybody that looks at facebook for entertainers or any other type of person , plumber, electrician.
   It seems to me that people just use it to keep up with family and friends.  If 50% of people are on facebook that means that 100% of those people have access to Google.  I can be found there very fast.
   As for people watching my videos before I work for them I would rather that does not happen.  I would like the people that I am working for to be surprised when I make something, not say "well on YouTube you did it a different way".  I put up the videos for other balloon twisters not for my customers.
   If things change, as they always do, I will put the time into facebook, but that will not happen for a little while.
warren
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2011 at 3:16pm
Well this past week I was hired from Facebook, a client (Facebook Friend) recommend me.  In fact the lady has an email but hardly ever uses it. Most of her internet access is through her IPhone and use FB as a way to communicate with her friends and get recommendations. This I feel is going to become the new word of mouth.

YouTube is more popular then Google when it comes to search for information - don't be surprised if customers find you first on YouTube then your website.  I've had YouTube video rank higher then my website, so I know people have see that before my web page. 

I'm still suggesting that you take the time to at least setup a FB page.  If and when you need it you'll have it and have the basic understanding how to use it.

As always, fun share ideas and thoughts.

Dale
warren View Drop Down
09-09**

Quote warren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2011 at 6:44pm
   You might be correct.  I am on facebook but I am to stupid to understand how it works.  I seem to have two pages.  One I would rather keep just for family.  The other one was for a group of Saskatoon based entertainers.  That would mean I would need a third page just for business.
   I must be weird but I do not want to have friends that live in places I never go to.  I do not need to "friend" a relative I have never met.  I also do not want to spend time keeping a facebook page updates.  Also I am to stupid to remember how I got two pages running, I do not think I could get a third one up also.
warren
Dan_Poe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Dan_Poe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2011 at 5:47am
I'm going to hop into this conversation. Warren, yes, Facebook is a complete waste of time.

It is a complete waste of time that your clients are using.

Creating a "Person" for your business, is not needed. It works for some people, but it turns some people off. If someone is looking to start a facebook page for their business, I suggest a fanpage. There are lots of websites explaining how to start one.

Basically, I use it to tell people where I am going to be publicly. Sometimes I post fun things I have made. Most of my client base on FB are actual clients, some are potential clients, and some are balloon people too. I find it to be very low maintenance.  It does most of the work for you.

I added the icon to my business card, and tell people "Here is my card, my website and portfolio are there, and I also added a Facebook Fanpage if you like to use that." If I have anyone ask about stuff on my fanpage, I write a comment that says "Thanks! Send me an email and I can tell you more about X".

So yes, you don't need a facebook page, but If your looking for some free and easy marketing that is one way to go.

As for marketing to balloon twisters, check out Tonya's page. She does a wonderful job of having a client base, and an entertainer base. Posting and having different pages within her page for both.
Daniel Poe
Creations With A Twist
www.creationswithatwist.com
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2011 at 10:54am
Yes, I would recommend multiple pages.  I have four.  Dale Obrochta, magical Balloon-dude, Motivational Imagine Enhancer and the mbd2.com store.  Suprisingly I have different follwers in eacht fb fan page.

Dale
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2011 at 10:55am
Dan, Just checked your FB page out,  You should advertise to the dog lovers in your area ;-)

Dale
Dan_Poe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Dan_Poe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2011 at 4:35pm
I started a contest on my facebook fanpage on Friday. This is the first time that I had done this, all my previous fans were people that I talked to and saw the link on my card and website.  I had 206 fans. The contest is over in a half hour, and I am at 381 and counting! That is a 175+ new fans, that I can now reach and potentially work for, all for the cost of one free party.  Something to think about for those wanting some easy free marketing
Daniel Poe
Creations With A Twist
Dan_Poe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Dan_Poe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2011 at 7:18pm
After the contest has been completed, I now have 419 fans. I ( or should I say two very enthusiatic participants) doubled my potential client fanbase. They both had over 90 people add my fanpage, so I gave them both the prize Smile
Daniel Poe
Creations With A Twist
brandembell View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

Quote brandembell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 2:05am
This is the important thing about it. So yes, you don't need a facebook page, but If your looking for some free and easy marketing that is one way to go. So it is very necessary.
Janet View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
05-12

Quote Janet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 4:12pm
Well, I am not very savvy on FB, either. I am hoping to learn to use it to market--even if it helps just a little. I get overwhelmed with technology, though--especially when I am busy with family responsibilities. Fortunately, my website gets googled more now that I learned a few things about that (SEO) and book parties from that. Hopefully, FB will be a new avenue. I guess the first step is setting up a fan page and getting people to "like" it....I know a lot of entertainers keep their pages totally separate.

Just to add a story there--a potential client did try to contact me through FB. I got her message from 2 days too late to do her party, though. She hadn't "friended" me and I didn't even know she was trying to reach me. On the other hand, she had my business card (met her at a restaurant) and could have called, e-mailed or texted me.....
Janet "never too old to learn" Lenox
1st Gold Medal Balloon Challenge Champion--USA
Janet View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
05-12

Quote Janet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 4:33pm
Just looked at the reults of your contest, Daniel--what a great idea. I am sure that will generate a lot more business for you. Those ladies sure seemed excited and rightly so. Way to go!

Janet "never too old to learn" Lenox
1st Gold Medal Balloon Challenge Champion--USA
Dan_Poe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Dan_Poe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 5:39pm
Thanks Janet!

Yes they are very pleased, and are having their parties ASAP! Which I am very happy about since I can then post their party's pictures and reach their extended network of friends and family through that!

Let me know if you need help setting up a facebook fanpage, I've helped others out with it as well.
Daniel Poe
Creations With A Twist
CrazyChris View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
11-12

Quote CrazyChris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2011 at 1:20pm
Okay, I'm confused!  (But what's new about that??? Wink)

I've not been interesting in FB up to now, but I'm considering it.  What I *don't* want is something that sucks up alot of my time (i.e. low maintenance), but what I *do* want is another avenue for *local* people to find me if they're interested in hiring a balloon artist.  (Who *cares* if someone in Hong Kong thinks I'm great?  It's not likely they're going to hire me for their event!)

So, based on that background, what's the difference between a "fan page" and  "personal page" on FB?  I also see it's possible to create a "web site page" that would only list my balloon web site (right?) so maybe that's the way to go?

In short, it would be helpful if folks could explain the difference between the various types of pages, the pros and cons of each, and provide tips on how to create a FB presence that draws *local* traffic without sucking up all of your time.

Dale, don't you find maintaining 4 FB pages awfully time consuming?  I understand the concept of "targeted marketing" by having a number of pages each focus on a different audience base, but how do you do that without spending hours maintaining everything???

Thanks, all, for any tips/tricks offered!

Regards,

Chris

"Think off-centre!" (George Carlin)
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
"You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old." (George Burns)
www.crazychris.ca
carmen-Charm View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
04-10

Quote carmen-Charm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2011 at 4:25pm
I'll pitch in a couple of pennies worth. Facebook is pretty much all biz for me. I post a few personal tidbits just so my page doesn't seem like a 24hr commercial. Those who read my posts seem to appreciate being able to peek into my life a little and see what I've been up to.

I use FaceBook as a means of REFERRAL GENERATION. To date I've had several very good bookings due to FB users either seeing CharmandHappy.com tagged in someone else's pic profile or a post a made.

One of two pages focus's on wit, comments & a dash of charm. The other ... my actual biz page is there for the finding and to get LIKED. That page is also connected to my Twitter account, so I don't have to post twice. Twitter to me has been a waste, but I'm doing as they do in Rome for the moment.

Carmen
C.Tellez
Carmen@CharmandHappy.com
http://www.CharmandHappy.com
877-725-6967
“Charming people live up to the very edge of their charm, and behave as outrageously as the world lets them.” L.Pearsall
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2011 at 11:18pm
Chris,

This is how I look at it... In an 8 hour day to take 1 hour to do Social Marketing, writing, fb, twitter and all that other stuff and reach 1 or 5,000 people is worth it.  This is just another way to keep in contact with your customers and future clients.

If you you want to do it on the "light side" spend 1 hour a week update your FB page, blog and Youtub account.  Over a year that is 52 hours of marketing, which you may be reaching couple 100 people each time you do it. Cost - just 1 hour of time, really cheap marketing.

Since I've started blogging I've had over 250,000 people read the blog in just 3.75 years - not bad for a guy making balloon animals. 

You can use social media sites an program a week of comments that will automatically be tweeted and posted in facebook.  Spend 2 hours a month and you'll have a post each day. Not very personable, but a solution.

Just some ideas

Dale
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2011 at 10:26am
Chris, after sleeping on you question here's another thought.

Every day we have a conversation, we never run out of things to talk about. What if you take a moment to actually write it down and expand on that thought.  Fully think it out, then post it.  Would that not be interesting to somebody.  Was it difficult to do? Did it take a lot of time?  Just a thought I pickup form a blog I read.

Dale
Subscriber
Subscriber
11-12

Quote CrazyChris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2011 at 9:23pm
Dale & Carmen:

Those were interesting and helpful comments... thanks!  I'm particularly interested in what you mentioned about being able to post simultaneously to Twitter and FB.  What's the name of that application and where can I get it?

I'm still a bit confused about the various types of pages.  I looked on FB and didn't see much info that explained the differences, so maybe one of you can fill me in.  Do I want a "local business" page, or should I create an "artist" page???  How is one different from the other?

I'm pretty convinced that I should have a presence on FB, but I'm just not sure how to get started.  So, any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris

www.crazychris.ca
carmen-Charm View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
04-10

Quote carmen-Charm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2011 at 10:05pm
I'll have to try and recall what I did to hook my business page with Twitter. I know I didn't use a special application at all. Whatever I type on my biz page, automatically appears in my twitter.
C.Tellez
Carmen@CharmandHappy.com
http://www.CharmandHappy.com
877-725-6967
“Charming people live up to the very edge of their charm, and behave as outrageously as the world lets them.” L.Pearsall
Subscriber
Subscriber
11-12

Quote CrazyChris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2011 at 3:20pm
Okay, I went ahead and created a FB page for my balloon business.  Feel free to check it out here.  I'm still a bit confused....  Can people "Like" my page or just individual posts on my page?  Also, I'm still interesting in learning how to link FB and Twitter together (i.e. post to both at the same time).  I haven't created a Twitter account yet, but will do that if I can find out how to post to both FB and Twitter.

Thanks, again, for all the help!

Regards,

Chris

www.crazychris.ca
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2011 at 10:20am
Hi Chris

If you have a twitter account you can have it automatically post to facebook.  SO if I go to my twitter account and do a status update its posted in facebook.  I'm pretty sure you can do the same in facebook (FB) have it post to twitter.

You can use SocialOomp.com to delay posts to multiple accounts, theirs is PingerFM which you can send message to multiple social media accounts.  Twitterfeed allows you to broadcast RSS feed to your Twitter or Facebook sites.  These are just a couple that I've used.  If you have a linkedin account you can feed information in and out of its status post. Yelp will allow you to post to Facebook and Twitter.

My suggest is figure out what site you want to your status posting in. then link all account to that status.  Example FB status update goes to twitter, linkedin, foursquare, and Google+ now write down the links on paper how they will link to each other.  Many people make the mistake of link all of them together and when the post in one ie FB, it goes to twitter, then they post the same message in LinkedIN and Linkedin is linked to FB, which then post the message to FB and Twitter all over again.  It become like spam to the people following you because in stead of 1 message being posted, it is repeated 2-3 time across all your social networks.  So take your time and write down you you wan them to link to each other.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask more question this is not easy for beginners to fully grasp, but once you do it like twisting a balloon, you have the basic down in no time.
Subscriber
Subscriber
11-12

Quote CrazyChris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 2:06am
Originally posted by warren

I have a website, an email address, a yellow pages add, An add on Kijiji (free site) and I tag all my YouTube videos with my business name.

Warren, I'm curious...  do you get a lot of bookings from your Kijiji ad?  I've never posted an ad on Kijiji, but I sure do like the price!  Wink  I'm just wondering if you've gotten results from that marketing venue?

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris

www.crazychris.ca
 Post Reply Post Reply