mbd2.com Forum Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > The Link-O-Loon™ Talk > Link-O-Loon
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   StoreStore  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery  Register Register  Login Login

balloondecor outside in the winter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pipolien View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

Quote Pipolien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: balloondecor outside in the winter
    Posted: 22 January 2011 at 7:56am
5 days ago i build a balloon arch for a couple that just had a babygirl. It's winter here (holland) and the temperature is below freezing at night and just above freezing during the day. Combined with rain and wind.
 I warned them that in these weather conditions the arch won't last very long.
After three days they called on the phone because the arch was almost complete gone. Because I felt sorry for them I replaced the arch but now 2 days after i place the 2nd arch, they are angry because this one also didn't survive the winter weather conditions.

Does anyone know a way of keeping a balloonarch good during these conditions?

Petra
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Magical Balloon-dude - Author, book

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 11:16am
Petra - Mother nature can destroy anything it wants to. You need to ask them, "How long are you expecting the arch to last"  Typically, if you get three days for an arch -OUTSIDE is excellent.  If they tell you the want it to look good for a week - they charge them a maintenance fee / insurance. All they have to do is give you a call and they repairs are covered under their "insurance policy" and you will fix it.  If they don't call you've pocket the extra money.  If they don't buy the "insurance policy" then you charge them for a brand new arch.

That's my recommendation
Pretzel View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
03-12

Quote Pretzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2011 at 12:08pm
Hi Petra
Balloons outside are always risky. If possable awlays make a spiral arch air filled on a frame. Rule of thumb is 80% maximum inflation. An 11" balloon should only be filled to 8.5". You can go smaller, but this uses more balloons. For delicate arches I have done them using 5" balloons sized to 3.5" or 4". The frame should be adequately weighted and secured at the bottom.
If you use helium balloons, when they get wet, the weight of the water coating the balloon is enough to bring them down.
The frame also helps with the issue of wind. The balloon quads should be tied to the frame, not crosslocked. If you cross lock the balloons and 1 breaks, you can lose the entire quad. If they are tied to the frame and a balloon breaks, you only have to replace the one balloon.
2 balloons tied together create a duplet, 2 duplets create the quad. I use a nozzel from each duplet to tie the ballons to the frame. This is the most secure way.
If you are a QBN member, there is a balloon calculator on the Pioneer web page. This helps determine the number of balloons require for the arch.
Hope this information helps.
If you have any questions, contact me.
Stephen aka Pretzel
mandy View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
03-12p

Quote mandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2011 at 1:08am
I agree with Dale, perhaps you could compile a form for them to sign which will absolve you, and another for the 'maintenance' if they are willing to pay the extra. Once you have their signature, they cant renege
mandy
 Post Reply Post Reply