mbd2.com Forum Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Entertainer's Stories > Article Discussions
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   StoreStore  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery  Register Register  Login Login

Comments on Articles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Magical Balloon-dude - Author, book

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comments on Articles
    Posted: 04 August 2009 at 11:51am
If you have a comment about an article, feel free to leave it here.  Authors like to hear about their work or to answer question.
CharlesDolbel View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
03-10

Quote CharlesDolbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 11:18pm
Hi Dale.  In response to the latest ending a line article, here is another process that doesn;t require an extra person to be involved... Free free to upload and post it if you wish, it is in a finished format... :-)

Ending a line, on your own, without assistance.

Jeanine von Essen wrote a while ago said she has $1,000,000 bills in Froggy Dollars, and she uses them to close off a line by giving everyone in the line one and loudly announcing that the line is closed, and only people with a million dollars can get one now.

Thank you, Jeanine!  This method is an absolute lifesaver…

You can easily adapted the froggy dollars to Monopoly notes, or, in a pinch, just giving uninflated 260’s as ‘balloon tickets’.  The key is that when you decide to close the line off, everyone already in the line gets a ticket that proves they were there when the line was closed.  Only people with tickets get a balloon after the line is closed.  You can also suggest the older punters may wish to give their ticket to a younger person, but that the ticket booth is now closed.

This allows you to close off your line without the assistance of anyone else, something that is always useful

You can add extra peer-pressure-crowd-control by every minute or so asking loudly for everyone to hold up their ticket, and make a big show of loudly counting them “1…2…..3..4….5…. Only five people left today!”     “1….2…..3…..4…… Only four people left today!”

These loud announcements, seemingly directed at the ticket holders, are actually aimed at new arrivals and continually educates newcomers that the line is closed.  Sometimes people ask how to get tickets, simply say they had to be in the line when it was closed.  The fact they don’t have one means they weren’t there at that time.

Another aspect of this is it allows you to tailor your sculptures to suit the time you have left, if it works as usual, you have a little spare time at the end for the last person, and chances are high they have waited longer than anyone else that day, so you can spend that spare time making something grand and special for them as a thanks for their patience.

Charles Dolbel - Corporate Entertainer
Auckland, New Zealand
Charles Dolbel
Corporate Entertainer

Auckland - New Zealand
http://www.CharlesDolbel.BalloonHQ.com
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Magical Balloon-dude - Author, book

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2009 at 8:00am
If you think about it we can spend more energy closing a line then we can actually preforming. I know my heart rate goes up when closing down a line, just in anticipation of complaints.  
CharlesDolbel View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
03-10

Quote CharlesDolbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2009 at 3:00pm
That's the beauty of the ticket system, After you've done it twice, it become PART of the performance, and it becomes second nature.

It also allows to the ability to spend more time on the last individal if you work it right, which means often a standing ovation by those watching, plus no concerns about having to make that item again as you are finished.

I actually look forward to ending the line now, and by using the ticket announcement, have had perhaps 2 complaints in several years, but the fact they don't have a ticket makes it a short lived attempt.
Charles Dolbel
Corporate Entertainer

Auckland - New Zealand
http://www.CharlesDolbel.BalloonHQ.com
Tonya View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

04-13

Quote Tonya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2009 at 7:28am
That is a great idea about the million dollar tickets, just for the funny line that goes with it Smile
I usually give out stickers to those in line when I close it.  I have also used little plastic bath toys that they trade me back for a balloon.  (they are easy to sanitize).   If the parent is super impatient, they can keep the toy instead, but I have yet for that to happen. 
Tonya

www.twistedcrittersnmore.com
 Post Reply Post Reply