mbd2.com Forum Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Balloon Entertainer's Post & Tips > Introduce
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   StoreStore  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery  Register Register  Login Login

M. George Quinn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
magicgeorge View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (UK) - Author, ebook

Quote magicgeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M. George Quinn
    Posted: 12 March 2004 at 10:19pm
(The M stands for Michael as well as Magic.
George is my second name, nickname and stagename.)

Hello,
I'm a big, hairy, Guinness-swilling idiot from Belfast. I'm in my mid-twenties which means I'm actually closer to 30 but in denial. I live with my beautiful but crazy girlfriend.
I'm a full-time entertainer who does mainly magic and balloon twisting but also unicycling, juggling, diablo, vent and really bad mandolin playing.In my spare time I like to inflate small shrews with helium and shoot them with a bb gun when they get to 20 feet or so.

I bought my first bag of balloons when I was 16 and also a book called "All wind and twists". I picked it up pretty quickly and within about a month I could do 75 models. All with a single balloon because using more than one balloon would be cheating....
I made the occasional model, off and on ,for the next 8 years. Sometimes, months would go by where the only latex products I bought came in a three pack.
When I was about 24, I was working in a bar in Manchester and one of the regulars was a balloon twister.
He persuaded me that using more than one balloon wasn't cheating and I failed to persuade him that using a marker wasn't either. He was fairly coy and only showed me one model but talked a lot about what he could make. I started making what he talked about just to annoy him.
Christmas approached and I designed a Santa head. I thought I'd hit unto something big. "Wow" I thought "faces out of balloons, this will surely revolutionise the twisting industry". After Christmas, I realised I wasn't going anywhere being a barman (well nowhere that took more than 12 steps to get away from again) so I came back to my Ireland to start my career as a kid's entertainer.
I bought a computer and came across balloonhq (I found it looking for laugh lines, Mack would be proud). I joined the list and lost no time announcing to the twisty world my new discovery of heads made from balloons by showing off my Santa head. When several replies came back saying "that's quite nice, you should make a body for it" I realised I wasn't quite as original as I had thought. I discovered the photo section and set to work playing "catch-up". I've had a lot of fun since meeting cool people, travelling to conventions, teaching myself web design to show off my work etc.
I don't rank myself to highly in the world of balloon modellers and am in awe of some of the talent that abounds through the industry. I would say my strong point in the design side of things is originality since I strive to meekly go where no twister has gone before. This means I've come up with a lot of interesting but useless stuff:
Mona Lisa
Ship in a Bottle
Puppets
Magic Boxes
Test tube babies
Balloon animations

I'm heavily into the performance side of things but this came kind of naturally for me since magic has always been my first love. I like coming up with routines and anything I design or come up with is usually followed by thinking how I can make it funny.
I've recently taken over balloondesigns.net from Donna Jaffke and am putting a lot of effort into that at the moment.

Nice to be here

George

P.S. I lied about the helium-filled shrews.
honest
kozmo View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
10-07*

Quote kozmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2004 at 12:21am

Hello George,

I think your Inspector Clouseau is great!  And that Ship in a Bottle - how did you do that?

K O Z M O
   The Clown
Mack View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2004 at 1:00am

Sorry i haven't stopped by sooner.

Magic Geprge is truly a genius of twisting creations. I know why now you are so adroit with one balloon sculptures. 8 years of it before you added the other balloon.  Maybe your mandolin playing will improve if you add the other hand.

Truly George blew me away with his Balloona Lisa and ship in the bottle. Check out his sites both at Balloon designs and BHQ. Well worth the stop.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote magicgeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2004 at 3:55am
Hi thanks Kozmo, sorry I only just noticed your reply, thank you. How did I do the ship in the bottle?
Very carefully, lol.

Thanks Mack, you're very kind.it was great meeting you in Texas, I hope we get to meet up again in "real life" again sometime soonish.
danoballoonmano View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (Canada)

Quote danoballoonmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2004 at 1:52pm
Hey George,
   I wanted to say that the mona lisa, clouseau and ship ina bottle were truly amazing.....teach me oh master!!!!

Dan
Dan The Balloon Man
croakdesigns View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
04-12

Quote croakdesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2004 at 1:23am
Check out www.balloondesigns.net   tons of great stuff!
Jeanine Von Essen
www.HEYBalloonLady.com
www.CroakDesigns.com
www.JeaninesCritters.com
www.ToadlyCoolGifts.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote magicgeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2004 at 9:03am
Cheers Jeanine. Jeanine's a member so she get's to see the real stuff there.It's a mixture of my designs and those of the former owner Donna Jaffke. I'll be adding more designs to the free section when I get the chance it's a little basic at the moment.

My home page is www.magicgeorge.co.uk Which also has some interesting stuff but is more related to my home business than balloons.

My balloonhq portfolio is also up if you just want a pure balloon hit..
bhq portfolio
qwinkly View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
01-08

Quote qwinkly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2005 at 8:27am
So, by which name do you like to be called here?  George or Michael?  (Perhaps "Oh Master" as Dan said above, LOL)

You also have a pretty innovative way to get a human hand to turn blue inside a balloon trumpet bell!
http://Qwinkly.BalloonHQ.com

If it weren't for gravity, jugglers would just throw up!

Want to know how to make God laugh? Tell Him your plans !!
Mr.Balloonatic View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
09-12

Quote Mr.Balloonatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2007 at 8:47am
Hey M.G.

Looking foward to seeing you in April, hopefully we'll get a good jam session going,

Michael A.
 Post Reply Post Reply