mbd2.com Forum Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Balloon Entertainer's Post & Tips > Introduce
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   StoreStore  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery  Register Register  Login Login

Patrick van de Ven

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Patrick View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (Netherlands)

Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Patrick van de Ven
    Posted: 27 February 2004 at 10:23am

Hi all,

My first balloonanimal was born almost two years ago. It was, offcourse, a dog. But on that very same performance however I already got a request for a dolphin! And, enthousiastically that I was, did an attempt at it. It turned out to be a sort of strange ugly babyblue dove, with fins that could never ever made a fish swim (okay, mammal)... but the girl was happy with it.

That probably made me ignore the basic dogs, giraffes and swords right from the start, and immediately focus on the entire zoo. So I got creatively obsessed to cover every animal out of 'one of those spaghettiballoons'.

Hours were spend studying animal picture books, trying to figure out what were the main characteristic features of a particular animal. Funny fact is that the models that turned out wrong, were often the starting point for an entirely different creature.
Because I made a drawing of every attempt I never needed a balloonbook, I simply wrote my own instructions.

The addiction got even more out of hand when I found myself plotting out a single balloon raven in my head, while bicycling through town. Actually whenever an image of an object entered my mind, the first thing it plotted was ''How could we make this out of a balloon?''

Now, after those latex-animal-obsessed crazy two years I'm still fully addicted to the art of ballooning. It's now part of my life vision. In the focus to make every request on the fly I have currently more than 300 different models and still evolving.

One of my other, entirely different, passions is composing ambient music.
http://www.ocaixote.com.br/musica/patrick_01.html

Patrick  

Ballonkunstenaar Patrick - innovative balloon designs
- In limitation lies the true chance for creativity -
Patrick View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (Netherlands)

Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2004 at 5:57am

Perhaps the ambition that will form naturally out of this should be ''balloon-ambient'':

Composing music with sounds of stretched balloons, squeeking latex, writing paintmarkers, snapping 260's, ouching your fingers, stringing 160's, flapping round balloons.

Now, who would want to hear that?!  If enough enthousiasm from our little society here, I might consider a piece hahahahaha

Patrick

danoballoonmano View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (Canada)

Quote danoballoonmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2004 at 12:00pm
Hey Patrick,
Thanks for the link...the pictures look great!!! Speaking of "ambient music", I have been known, on occasion, to join some of the live entertainment that performs at some of the local farmer's markets that I work at by twisting a balloon guitar and adding some "ambient music" to whatever they are playing. I have been playing the guitar for a few years now, and have only recently been playing with the "air guitar"....

Dan The Balloon Man
Dan The Balloon Man
magicgeorge View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (UK) - Author, ebook

Quote magicgeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2004 at 10:38pm
Hi Patrick,
Great to have you aboard. It's really nice to see someone come onboard and start sharing from the start. I love your single balloon master pieces.
George
Patrick View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (Netherlands)

Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2004 at 5:22am

Robotic Mime

I started as a kid of 14 years old. Watching a mime perform in centre of town I was intrigued by it right at that very moment. A few years following to that I did my first act at a festival and won 2 times in a row. That made me wildly enthousiast to develop it. Since then I performed the robot-act for 16 years on various locations.

The situations and reactions from people can be like Candid Camera, where they don't know whether it's an automatic doll or a human being.

I remember one time that I stood in a shopwindow of a big warehouse and people walking by just didn't notice at first. I just stood there totally unmovable for 1,5 hour, not blinking, not moving, just standing silent without any emotion on my face.

I knew I had to do something to get their attention, so I made a very subtle movement and a lady walking by at that moment turned her head and approached the window with great astonishment. Before I knew it, various people neared by to watch the 'strange doll'. And you could hear them softly through the thick windowglass:

''Nah, he can't be real?!  Can he?  It must be a guy''

As you will probably agree with me, this is the moment of great joy for yourself as you give them doubt whether you're real or not.

Patrick

Patrick View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (Netherlands)

Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2004 at 7:50am

Bryden, here is my silver alter ego

The sunglasses are just for the cool look . Normally I take them off during the robot-act and use my staring/scaring eyes.

Patrick

Patrick View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (Netherlands)

Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2004 at 9:16am

Originally posted by danoballoonmano

I'll leave it to the professional "robots".
Dan

Oh, and Dan... about your ...hehehe..ahum.. 'balloontwisting robot'...

It would look really vague, and something like this:   

As you will agree, this doesn't make any sense whahahaha

Although the idea itself ain't bad, a twisting automatic doll in another type of outfit would be something original.

Patrick

Mighty Mac View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
08-07*

Quote Mighty Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2004 at 1:01pm

Patrick

Kids are going to have to wait for ages for a poodle!! from a Robotic Twister....

Bryden

on another note, do you still use that qualatex pump?

Mighty Mac & iTRON- Walk-about Entertainment -Mighty Mac- iTRON - robot
Patrick View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (Netherlands)

Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2004 at 1:09pm

Actually yes Bryden.

Can you imagine that the entire first year of my twisting fun was spent using the very simple small handpump, before I switched onto this doublespeed-pump.

Together with a small 160 pump, I still use this Qualatex pump nowadays, and it still works okay for me.

Patrick

Mighty Mac View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
08-07*

Quote Mighty Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2004 at 1:47pm

Hi Patrick

So do I, until it snapped in my hand. I couldn't get another one as they have replaced it with a new model. I find the new one not as brittle. It look like the master blaster pump with the same tip as the old qualatex one.

Bryden

Mighty Mac & iTRON- Walk-about Entertainment -Mighty Mac- iTRON - robot
Patrick View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (Netherlands)

Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2004 at 4:44pm

During a streetperformance last week my Qualatex pump snapped as well! The toppart broke off.

Luckely I always carry 2 same pumps, so I got out my spare pump and could happily blow air ever after... Someone fixed the broken pump for me during that performance with strong glue and strangely enough it works again, but I will surely buy a new pump with my next order.

Patrick

millie View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
04-10~

Quote millie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2004 at 5:23pm

The purples ones are not made anymore (at least that is what the Dutch distributer told me). They now have another type of double action pump.

It is lighter (cheaper plastic i think)Cry

Millie

Patrick View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (Netherlands)

Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2004 at 3:43am

While I used to facepaint entirely for years (even my hair), I found I needed a change in appearance to a more casual / natural look. This works better for me now.

Patrick

CharlesDolbel View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
03-10

Quote CharlesDolbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2004 at 2:06pm

Congrats on the extra weblisting... 

Just out of interest Patrick, have you ever just typed your name (or performing name) into Google and seen what comes up?

Admittedly, my name is fairly uncommon so it works well for me...

Charles Dolbel
Corporate Entertainer

Auckland - New Zealand
http://www.CharlesDolbel.BalloonHQ.com
Bob Balloon View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
04-10~

Quote Bob Balloon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2004 at 4:29am

Love thew outfit Patrick.  I have posted a topic asking others to show themselves in costume.  I finally picked mine up yesturday.  Thanks for your help and encouragement and luck with the weblisting.

BOB

The twister from down under.
BOB the BALLOONER
Twister
Twister
04-10~

Quote Bob Balloon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2004 at 4:38am

Love the site but I cannot get to hear any of your music, can you help me?  Great looking site.

BOB

BOB the BALLOONER
Twister
Twister
04-10~

Quote Bob Balloon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2004 at 4:40am

Patrick

Don't worry it started to flow as I pressed the post.  Sounds awsome.  Is that wistling in the first track?  My wife is going to really enjoy this.  Great stuff awsome.  Can you purchase a copy?

BOB

BOB the BALLOONER
Patrick View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (Netherlands)

Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2005 at 4:48am

Originally posted by CharlesDolbel

Just out of interest Patrick, have you ever just typed your name (or performing name) into Google and seen what comes up?

When you type my name in Google, the above mentioned link to my musical side turns up

Patrick

Twister
Twister
04-10~

Quote Bob Balloon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2005 at 6:37am

I typed my name into google and it put me back into the mbd2 site.  Bob the Ballooner.  Also typed my real name and some of my past musical releases came back to haunt me!!!

BOB

BOB the BALLOONER
macpump View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
10-08p

Quote macpump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 12:10pm

Patrick,

Thanks for all the inspiration. you are one of the great twisted people in the world!

MACPUMP-http://www.MacPump.Net
osmond View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
04-07*

Quote osmond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 8:54am
That is a very cute avatar.Do you have a bigger photo of it in the forum?
Randolph the balloonologest
Kingston Ont favorite balloon twister
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Magical Balloon-dude - Author, book

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 9:07am

Originally posted by osmond

That is a very cute avatar.Do you have a bigger photo of it in the forum?

Check the Photo Gallery.  He posted a picture yesterday

Dale

twinkles View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Quote twinkles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2006 at 11:20am
Happy Happy Birthday Patrick! smiley10
TheClassyClown.com      Balloon Sculpting & Entertaining Fantastic Face Painting     Magic   &   More
phill View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
12-08*

Quote phill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2006 at 11:36am
Haaaappy, Happy, Happy Biiiiiirthday, to you, to you, to you!

Hope you get a chance to enjoy your very special day!

Happy Birthday! smiley32 smiley32 smiley32

peace,
phill
Scripture,Sculptures & Suprises! Friend of Dale Obrochta, Chicago Keynote Speaker
Mr. Honkers View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
08-08**

Quote Mr. Honkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2006 at 12:43pm

Happy Birthday Patrick.

You've been a great help (whether you know I'm practicing all of your models or not).  I can only wish you the very best.
Mr. Honkers, a.k.a. Jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>