mbd2.com Forum Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Balloon Entertainer's Post & Tips > What entertainers have seen and heard
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   StoreStore  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery  Register Register  Login Login

What is your balloon twisting business called?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
_cj_ View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

01-08*

Quote _cj_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is your balloon twisting business called?
    Posted: 23 December 2006 at 9:42pm

Don't worry, I'm not out to steal your name, I am just curious as to the range of names out there, and which words/phrases are used to describe a business providing balloon twisting services.

I have a business name idea, but I can't use it as it is, I have to adapt it so it is more "discriptive" and "distinctive"  (To read my rant about this, check out my blog entry for Dec. 23,  http://www.westcoasttwisted.blogspot.com)

I think choosing a name is an important part of developing my business as I will (hopefully) be stuck with it for many years.  It needs to be specific enough for my current business plan, but open ended enough to allow for future expansion.  I also want it to be fun and creative, but this may prove impossible.

Many thanks in advance to anyone willing to share.
http://www.westcoasttwisted.blogspot.com
warren View Drop Down
09-09**

Quote warren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2006 at 9:57pm
   For the same reasons that you listed I called my business "balloon fun".  When I got a cell phone I changed the name to "balloon funn".  My telephone number is 341-3866 or 341-funn.
warren
croakdesigns View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
04-12

Quote croakdesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2006 at 11:37pm

Many years ago, before the thought of balloons entered my head, I used Croak Designs for my T-Shirts and other crafted items.  "Croak" because I've always had a froggy theme about me, and also because it stood (stands) for Completely, Remarkable, One of A Kind.  When I moved into the balloon realm, I continued to use the name but never liked the fact that it says nothing about balloons. 

I'd been wanting to come up with a new name, and as every where I go, I hear "Hey, the Balloon Lady is here," or simply "HEY! Balloon Lady!" I thought what better name, everyone is already using it, and certainly it can't be that hard to remember.  I was shocked to find the domain name still available.  So for the last 6-8 months I have been Hey! Balloon Lady!
I figure it says everything it needs to.
Jeanine Von Essen
www.HEYBalloonLady.com
www.CroakDesigns.com
www.JeaninesCritters.com
www.ToadlyCoolGifts.com
JesterMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
04-07

Quote JesterMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2006 at 11:50pm
AArdvark Entertainers, and my main character is JesterMan.

My Toll-Free number ends with, "50-FUN-4-U"

JesterMan

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!

"destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology..." FZ

www.JesterMan.com
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
twinkles View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Quote twinkles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2006 at 11:56pm
As you flip through the thousands of threads here....  It looks like most people who have websites / companies have them listed right in their signature line...   That might be a place to look as well.
TheClassyClown.com      Balloon Sculpting & Entertaining Fantastic Face Painting     Magic   &   More
carmen View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

Quote carmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2006 at 12:00am
I don't have an actual name for the balloons part of my business.
I'm so scattered I have several website names that point to my
umbrella name of CharmandHappy.com
If you want to know the balloon related website names I have bought
over the years, let me know, I have about 10 or 12, but over all I have about 110 website names that point to different pages, just to make it easier for clients who are looking for something in particular.

carmen tellez
carmen@charmandhappy.com
CharmandHappy.com
Never give up the opportunity to make a child laugh or to piss off a jerk. - Charlie Frye (Eccentric Comedy Magician)
_cj_ View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

01-08*

Quote _cj_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2006 at 1:28am
Twinkles, you're rignt, and I've been noticing the different names of entertainers/businesses included in profiles, signatures, and websites.  I guess I should have been more specific in that I'm also curious as to WHY people chose the names they did, and whether they have multiple names or not, and what everyone has found to work best for them.  Or any advice anyone might have on what to keep in mind when selecting a name.

JesterMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
04-07

Quote JesterMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2006 at 1:46am
AArdvarks are funny looking animals, and they have a funny sounding name...... It fits.   The fact that it is the first real word in the phone book doesn't hurt, but it is not the main reason for me; Heck, I'm not even in a printed yellow-paged book.  I guess that is some of what helped me choose it over Emu Entertainers.

JesterMan... It was an accident. I chose it for my user name at Expert Magic. I was thinking of a good name that fit, and though B-Rad the Jester gave it a run for it's money, J-Man eventually won. Maybe 20 years or so ago I would have gone the other way.

Neither convey balloons by themselves, but when I chose them, I was more of a magician. AArdvark has been with me over 20 years. JesterMan, 4 or 5, shortly after I began the latex lunacy in a serious manner. From 20-30 to hundreds over the last almost 6 years.

The slogan and the details on my cards tell what I do.

JesterMan

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More.

"destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology..." FZ

www.JesterMan.com
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
benny_pr View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
05-09

Quote benny_pr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2006 at 10:30am
I started a topic like this a while ago....

I choose Benny's Balloon Art..... I kinda liked it.... i could have done it in spanish... but... i liked it in english..... im spanish it would have had too many word.... "Arte en Globos de Benny" instead of Benny's Balloon Art..... I also thought it was more ...errr.... fluent(?!!?!)

now i have the problem that Balloon is often missppelled so I have to de-le-trate the name..... watch the "double-L-double-O"......

so... i'm currently thinking about thinking another fluid name...... jejejejeje!!!!!!!!!
Benny
787-616-1111
www.BennysBalloonArt.com

Life is what happens to You while you are busy making other plans.
---------------------
No Balloonimals were harmed during the writing of this post
cash_magic View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

Quote cash_magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2006 at 10:36am
my name is craig cash i use CASH MAGIC as its fast and easy to rember
love me love my balloons
chestnutyouth View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
06-07*

Quote chestnutyouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2006 at 10:53am
My business is Higher Hope Entertainment because I also run creative ministry by that name.  Its Hope not Hopes because the messsage is there is only one hope.
St. Louis Balloon Twister,

Jason Vaughn

http://HigherHopeBalloons.com
YourBalloonMan View Drop Down
01-09

Quote YourBalloonMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2006 at 11:48am
Originally posted by benny_pr

now i have the problem that Balloon is often missppelled so I have to de-le-trate the name..... watch the "double-L-double-O"......

Yeah... So, never order business cards over the phone.
I spelled everything out... I thought...

But I still ended up being a "Ballon Artist."
I'm thinking it sounds a little french or soemthing... lol, maybe I can get me a new character...

The new almost french-sounding balloon dude that doesnt speak a lick of french so he pretends by speaking spanish with a really really bad french accent and then thinks he's all that because he can blow up a balloon, tie it, and call it a snake.

Hrm... Maybe I do like where this is going....lol
YourBalloonMan,
Mr. Fudge

Balloon Animals
Tampa Balloon Guy
Mack View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2006 at 11:56am
Twisted Creations
Rickiddie Rick View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
07-08

Quote Rickiddie Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2006 at 12:27pm
Hi friends.. I went to clown school.... asked for a clown name... hmmm... Richard Thomsen was not acceptable.... so Rickiddie Rick came out  (Rick t).. Then the city license came about... OMG.. "If" you do that you have to fill out additional paper work and etc.. so down to"Name" and balloon entertainment.   Stilll use use Rick's Balloon Entertainment.  Seems to work.

Now Cash has  the right name...  Cash Magic... wow.. that  has a ring to it  I can see the name, a dollar bill, a balloon, and magic on a card..   Says it all... Name and balloon magic.
Smile from your heart, smile often, and the world will smile along with you... Rickiddie Rick..Orland. CA USA
Rett View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
05-09

Quote Rett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2006 at 1:33pm
Rett's Twisted View

Works well, decribes me and my vision of the balloon art I create.
danoballoonmano View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (Canada)

Quote danoballoonmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2006 at 3:48pm
Quite Simply..... Dan the Balloon Man
Dan The Balloon Man
mbfloyd View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
02-07

Quote mbfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2006 at 4:16pm
I've have been called many things, most of which I can not repeat around children.

But the names that remain are

Michael the balloon guy/man/person/thing

hey you with the balloons

balloonateer

Michael the anti-clown

and ... Tim

carmen View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

Quote carmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2006 at 4:22pm
Michael the Anti-clown is the BEST!

carmen@charmandhappy.com
Never give up the opportunity to make a child laugh or to piss off a jerk. - Charlie Frye (Eccentric Comedy Magician)
uncannyjeff View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
01-09

Quote uncannyjeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2006 at 5:49pm
Jeff "The Uncannny" is my magic name and my balloon business trades as "INFLATED EGOS".
seriously twisted!!!
UncannyJeff
graceful View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
06-10

Quote graceful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2006 at 7:36pm
Charis goes by "Graceful Balloon Art".  At first we chose "Grace-full Balloon Art" as a play on her name as Charis is Koine Greek for grace.  However, several people said the Grace-full was too confusing and we gradually simplified it to Graceful. 
http://GracefulBalloonArt.com
Pippi View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
07-11

Quote Pippi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2006 at 10:39pm

Pippity-Pop! (Balloon Sculptor / Decorator)

Is my Business Name - it's a play on my name which is Philippa, but I'm known as Pip!  When I do a Magic Show it's also my 'MAGIC WORD' - when I leave a party all the kids are running around trying to turn each other into Frogs etc using the special magic word - Pippity-POP!!! (it's a great way for them to remember me by - lol!)

Wow! CJ what a hassle.  Just wondering if someone else at the 'office' for Name Registration may be more helpful???

Hmmmm Names - using C at the Start will get you further up the Book! - and CJ is an easy name to remember.

CJ's Twisted Fun
Custom (or Creative) Balloons by CJ

Could you get around the 'red tape' by adding on a description to your preferred name ie:

Twist For Fun - Balloon Twister ( or Sculptor or Wrangler) surely that explains your business to the authorities.

Good Luck
_cj_ View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

01-08*

Quote _cj_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 12:13am
Pippi,

Yup.  That's pretty much what I'm going to do if my other ideas don't work out.  (I'll be seeing a small business counsellor soon for some help/advice)

At the moment I'm leaning towards Twist For Fun - Balloon Creations, but I have time before reaching a final decision.

I am only setting up a part-time business.  I have some other career/academic interests I am pursuing, and I only want to do very specific twisting work; in order to accept payment for it and be insured, I have to have a proper business set up.  Of course, the system is not accustomed to people like me who want to operate a part-time business with no dreams of enormous profits, expansion, etc. 

Of course, the more I learn about it all, the more I wonder if it's even worth it. But I love twisting, and the only way to really enjoy it, is to share it.  And until my other pursuits generate enough income to simply provide balloon twisting free of charge, I don't see any other way to do it.

I'd be perfectly happy to hire on as another twister's apprentice/assistant/employee.  But my location is a small town on Vancouver Island, and so far I haven't found this sort of opportunity. 

You know, I must have still been a little jet-lagged when I set up this topic; it should be in the "what entertainers are talking about" section, not  the "seen and heard" section.  Sorry about that.

I'm enjoying reading about the different names people have chosen, as well as the different types of businesses.  I've been visiting some of your websites too - There's a great deal of variety of the identities people have for themselves and their businesses, as well as the services being offered.  Definitely interesting research, I just wish some of you were geographically closer to me.   Oh well. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 9:17am
Holidaz By Dezign
I want to create events that are to the clients dezign to make their holiday unique
warren View Drop Down
09-09**

Quote warren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 9:27am
   Hello there CJ.  I just read your rant.  I should have read it before I posted my first reply.  I call my business "Balloon Funn" but it is registered as "Balloon funn by Warren".  That way it is not to generic.  I pay the federal government $50 every 3 years to keep the name.
warren
Buster Balloon View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

Quote Buster Balloon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 2:12pm

Originally posted by _cj_

Pippi,

Of course, the system is not accustomed to people like me who want to operate a part-time business with no dreams of enormous profits, expansion, etc. 

Of course, the more I learn about it all, the more I wonder if it's even worth it. But I love twisting, and the only way to really enjoy it, is to share it.  And until my other pursuits generate enough income to simply provide balloon twisting free of charge, I don't see any other way to do it.

I'd be perfectly happy to hire on as another twister's apprentice/assistant/employee.  But my location is a small town on Vancouver Island, and so far I haven't found this sort of opportunity. 

You are correct that the system is not helpful to people who do not wish to make money, but that's because making money is what a business is supposed to do.  The good news is, I think you may have the answer right in front of you.  Why do you need a business at all?  It sounds as though what you Really want is to twist for fun and for the love of twisting, so why not only twist for fun and for the love of twisting?

There are countless charities, children's hospitals (tricky, but not impossible), foster care facilities, convalescent homes, senior centers, shelters, and God only knows how many other venues available to you with people who need that little spark of joy most of all.  Sure there are bogus groups who just want cheap or free entertainment, but there are also allot of really good groups out there that you can help while doing what you love.  And many charities are thrilled to buy your balloons or reimburse you for them so that you are not out of pocket. 

I think that we all, as an industry, do a great disservice to our fellow twisters, especially newer twisters, by pressuring them to do this for money.  It seems that as soon as someone has a dozen or so decent sculptures under their belt, there is someone telling them they need to get a restaurant.

In business, you have to Go Big or Go Home.  Otherwise, what is the point of doing it in the first place?  Even if you are only doing this as a side business you need to take it seriously and treat it like a real business (this is why working only for tips makes no sense to me).

But if you just want to twist for fun, just twist for fun.  Why ruin it with that kind of pressure.  I love to cook, and I am really good at it, but I also know what it takes to succeed as a chef and I know that that kind of work and pressure would take allot of the joy out of it for me.  Plus I have my wife and my friends to cook for so that I can get my fix.  Twisting should be the same way.

And from a financial stand point, if you do only twist for fun, you can still write off the cost of your balloons on your taxes as a hobby, or as donations for your charity gigs (talk to your accountant for details).

Ether way, good luck to you, and to everyone else on their quest to start, or not start a twisting business, whichever the case may be.

Don Caldwell aka "Buster Balloon"
http://BusterBalloon.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>