mbd2.com Forum Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Balloon Entertainer's Post & Tips > Balloon Instructions
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   StoreStore  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery  Register Register  Login Login

Heavy Equipment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
_cj_ View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

01-08*

Quote _cj_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy Equipment
    Posted: 10 January 2006 at 4:30pm

A fellow has asked me to make him a piece of heavy equipment. I think he said excavater - but I figure anything I can pull off that resembles some sort of machinery would please him.

I've tried a few search terms here but haven't located anything.  If anyone knows of instructions or a photo for something that might qualify as heavy machinery, I would really appreicate hearing about it.

Thanks.

cj

warren View Drop Down
09-09**

Quote warren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 8:18pm

Hello there C.J. Have you thought of making a tractor?  There must be pictures of it on Balloonhq.  It does not take long to make.

Warren

warren
JAMZ View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
02-09~

Quote JAMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 9:01pm

Mr Rainbow has a tape that he does a bulldozer and can be modified to make a crane the same tape has a truck

I don,t think but I am anyway
Bonnie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (USA Arkansas) p

Quote Bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 9:35pm

CJ, Pretzel posted instructions and a pic of a cement mixer in this topic: http://www.mbd2.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=593&KW=cem ent++mixer&TPN=1

However, for the guys wanting a manly of manliest,heavy duty piece of machinery, I always twist them a vacuum cleaner.   Here is the topic it's located in: http://www.mbd2.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=888&PN=1&a mp;TPN=1

Happy twisting,

Bonnie, The Balloon Lady

www.partypackage.balloonhq.com
www.bebstreasures.artfire.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keep smiling! It makes people wonder what you've been up to. :-)
CharlesDolbel View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
03-10

Quote CharlesDolbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 2:54am

Here's a very basic CAT320i done a few weeks ago for a contracting firm.

It was done with 646s (tread was 260's) for the tracks, 350's for the body and arm and 260's for the bucket.

you could easily make a smaller version using 350's, 260's and 160q's.

It's very simple and basic as I only had a few hours warning, will look at doing a much more detailed one of a similar size in the month or so.

Any questions, ask away... :)

Charles Dolbel
Corporate Entertainer

Auckland - New Zealand
http://www.CharlesDolbel.BalloonHQ.com
petra View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
02-08

Quote petra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 3:05am

Great work Charles!!!

Do you have a picture of the front, or the back? I'm curius to see how you attached the upper part to the tracks.

Petra

Patrick View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (Netherlands)

Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 3:48am

Charles, I'm impressed!  WOW!

I think the use of different sizes of balloons really makes the bulky realistic shape.

I would also love to see a picture of the centre part.

Thanks for sharing!

Patrick

Ballonkunstenaar Patrick - innovative balloon designs
- In limitation lies the true chance for creativity -
balloonpastor View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
02-08

Quote balloonpastor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 8:55am
CJ -
I was just checking another post on first attempts and member "graceful" posted a website of her mentor. If you search that website, it seems he has some machinery that he does for Preschool programs. He's got a lot of neat stuff.
Dave
dave@topnozzle.com

If you're ever in Middle PA, let me know and we can JAM!!
Twister
Twister
03-10

Quote CharlesDolbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 11:27pm

Hi Petra.  This was a speed sculpture, so I just made each part and glue-dotted it all together at the end.

To make it stick better, I also made an 'axle' from a yellow 646 underneath, which held the tracks parallel and also served as a central point to be glue-dotted, as well as the tracks themselves.

Here's another picture, but due to the rush, I didn't manage to get any good ones except the first one above... :-(

Thanks Patrick, this design has a different focus to my usual commissioned works, as there was hardly any time to design it. I appreciate that you like it, but its much blockier and more toy-like than most other sculptures.

Charles Dolbel
Corporate Entertainer

Auckland - New Zealand
_cj_ View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

01-08*

Quote _cj_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 12:33am

Hi Charles (and everyone else)

Thanks so much for your help.  Saturday is balloon day for me again and I'm going to give Charles' design a try - just need to get out and find some glue dots tomorrow - I'll take some photos and let you all know how it goes. 

-cj-

Twister
Twister
03-10

Quote CharlesDolbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 4:01am

Pleased to help. 

With hindsite, I would have preferred to use 350's for the tracks instead of the 646's.  Would have made it a little better propertioned.

Also, make sure that the bucket can touch the ground without drooping, so the sculpture doesn't overbalance when on the flat.

Also, the bucket I found very hard to hold in shape, as it was bowed out in th emiddle away from the sides which had supprting balloons so there is an uniflated 260 tied into the middle to hold the U shape. 

I would recommend shaping the bent balloons on the bucket first, rather than forcing them into the u with twists as I did.

Finally, make sure you get the BIG WIDE glue dots, the little ones are not very useful for attaching pieces with no connecting twists...

Charles Dolbel
Corporate Entertainer

Auckland - New Zealand
_cj_ View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

01-08*

Quote _cj_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2006 at 2:57pm

Alrighty - I found glue dots ($7.63 for a roll of 200 1/2" dots - only size they have - at Michael's) I've never used glue dots before so was excited to find them at the first place I went to look for them. 

Now I can start building.  I'm going to use 350s for the base as that's the biggest size I have.  The treads will be 160s and the rest will be a combination of 160s and 260s. 

_cj_ View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

01-08*

Quote _cj_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2006 at 12:44am

You may think I've forgotten all about my excavator...

I haven't - I'm just stuck.  I have all the pieces except one ready to go.  I can not figure out how to create a nice looking bucket.  I'm using 160s, but will do it with 260s if that's the trick.  I've made quite a few attempts and so far nothing looks anything like the bucket in the picture!

All the other pieces look alright - like all my first attempts my proportions aren't perfect - but seeing as this is the most involved sculpute I've tried, I'm happy with them. 

Any advice would be great - at the rate I'm going all my other pieces will have shrunk away to scraps by the time I have a bucket!

-cj-

Twister
Twister
03-10

Quote CharlesDolbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2006 at 3:02am

Hi CJ.

I also found the bucket the most challenging...

1.  Make a "D" shape by eartwisting the end of a 160/260.  then make a loop to get the right buckt shape by bending it with your hands, but DON'T twist it off yet.

2.  Squeeze some air out before twisting it off so it is softish, and make a second eartwist there.  Shape the soft loop so it has natural curve, preferably the curve you want but it can be a little wider.

3.  Make a straight bubble from the last eartwist onto the first.  This is the straight part of the "D" shape, with the loop the curved bit.  Break off the rest and tie...

4. Repeat 1-3 to make a second D.  These two are the sides of the bucket as shown in the first photo.

5.  Looking at the second photo, now make 3 more soft curved loops, with an eartwist at each end, the same length as the first two.  It will not stay in the D shape yet, so just get the length of the soft curved bubble and the size of the eartwists the same.

6. Tie another balloon into one of the first sides eartwists, twist of a tiny bubble, and attach to the first soft loop, so the eartwist of each balloon is touching closely. Repeat for the other two loops, and finsih by attaching to the eartwist of the final side.

7.  Repeat the same with another balloon and the remaining eartwists.

8.  Now glue dot the middle of the curves to each other and the sides, so no gaps show.  If the shape is not regular and bows out int he middle, tie an uninflated bucket-coloured balloon from the top middle eartwist down to the bottom middle eartwist, making it short neough to hold the tention tight and the shape right.

9.  Finally, squeeze SOFT bubbles to fit into the holes in the side "D"s, if they arent soft they will spread the shape out.  Attach them in the ear twists and squeeze the air so they fill the round bit more and taper at end.  If you feel the need, glue do them as well.

That should be it!  :-)  Let me know if you come up with a better way, as I would love to know one too...

Charles Dolbel
Corporate Entertainer

Auckland - New Zealand
_cj_ View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

01-08*

Quote _cj_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2006 at 12:52am

And the excavator project continues...

My first attempt is completed.  Photos here http://www.westcoasttwisted.blogspot.com

I should figure out how to post pictures here - hopefully soon.

Charles - thanks so much for the bucket details - it was a huge help to have directions.  :)

-cj-

Tonya View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

04-13

Quote Tonya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2009 at 8:09am
I've been trying to come up with construction equipment for awhile, and I finally have a couple of pieces that I'm happy with.  Here is a bulldozer, and a loader, and as an afterthought, I turned the loader into a backhoe.

Tonya

www.twistedcrittersnmore.com
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Magical Balloon-dude - Author, book

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2009 at 9:40am
Nice job Tonya
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Magical Balloon-dude - Author, book

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2009 at 10:54am
Carter (our son) saw these tractors and love them.  
Tonya View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

04-13

Quote Tonya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2009 at 2:20pm
thanks Dale Smile.  Now you need to make one for Carter Wink
Tonya

qwinkly View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
01-08

Quote qwinkly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2009 at 3:57pm

They should rename the construction toys from Tonka Trucks to TONYA Trucks !!

http://Qwinkly.BalloonHQ.com

If it weren't for gravity, jugglers would just throw up!

Want to know how to make God laugh? Tell Him your plans !!
Tonya View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

04-13

Quote Tonya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 9:22am
lol...thank you
Tonya

LouLou View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
03-12

Quote LouLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2014 at 8:38pm
I know this post is old but......
Thank you so much Tonya!!!! Just when I was stressing over making some type of construction truck I came across this post. You just saved the day for me. Thank you so much. These trucks are so great! Love them and so will tomorrows birthday boy.
 Post Reply Post Reply