mbd2.com Forum Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Balloon Entertainer's Post & Tips > Polls
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   StoreStore  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery  Register Register  Login Login

Adult Comedy Twisting

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: See Below
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [38.64%]
1 [2.27%]
2 [4.55%]
24 [54.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jim Mitchell View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

Quote Jim Mitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adult Comedy Twisting
    Posted: 24 February 2005 at 6:39pm

Would you ever perform "Adult" "R" rated balloon twisting comedy in an Adults only Stand Up Comedy Club? Please post a follow up message stating why you chose your reasons.

~Poppa Jim Mitchell
I'm amazed at how difficult it is to type with the keyboard covered in uninflated balloons!
danoballoonmano View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (Canada)

Quote danoballoonmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2005 at 7:53pm
Hello Poppa Jim,
I would not make these balloons in any venue. You never know who you might meet and first impressions are everything. I am first and foremost a family entertainer and I would hate to lose a lucrative trade show or something else because someone saw what I was making in a bar and lost respect for me.
There is just something about adult balloons that strikes me as unprofessional. This is only my opinion and is not a judgement of any kind. I am sure there is a place and a time for these kinds of balloons, just not from me.
   Thank you for posting this poll

Dan The Balloon Man
kentonkruger View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

Quote kentonkruger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2005 at 11:46pm

O.K., so everyone can flame me now, I am the one that voted yes.

My first thought is "Do what you are comfortable with". If you do not want to do this type of show, then do not do it. I find I do not have to do the "X-Rated" stuff, even in adult situations, but I have been hired before specificly for doing this type of work. Again, it is only if the people who have hired me request that I do them.

As for the "family entertainer" thing goes, many other types of actors, stand-up comics, etc. have several types of shows depending on their audience. Tim Allen is considered a "family entertainer", but has often done some extremely off-colour jokes in his nightclub routine. Again, it depends on the venue what is apropriate. I made the Cheech and Chong parody last year at T&S because it was an industry gathering, however I would NEVER do such a piece for a childs birthday party.

O.K., now feel free to flame away

Kenton Kruger

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2005 at 7:15am

Hi Poppa Jim,

I have to agree with Dan. I personally would not be comfortable doing R-rated balloons.

And as Kenton said, "Do what you are comfortable with. If you do not want to do this type of show, then do not do it." Exactly.

p.s. Poppa Jim, it was nice meeting you at Twist and Shout. Thank you for showing me your wrist cow and frog!

Bridgett View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
12-07 *

Quote Bridgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2005 at 7:37am
I personally wouldn't do it, but if it works for you, do it. If you're able to talk "R" rated in front of strangers..more power to you.
Dale View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Magical Balloon-dude - Author, book

Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2005 at 9:57am

I have worked a bar 11:00-2:00 am, where adult material was excepted.  After doing 20 minutes of blue material, I would interject that I do kids parties and half the audiences would take a card.

Dale

Twister
Twister

Quote Jim Mitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2005 at 11:15am

Hi Pat,

You're more than welcome.  In fact you made my day!  For someone in that crowd to ask me how I made one of my balloons!

As the rank newbie at the convention it was wonderful to feel that I had something to contribute.

~Poppa Jim Mitchell
I'm amazed at how difficult it is to type with the keyboard covered in uninflated balloons!
Kris View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
11-09

Quote Kris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2005 at 5:34pm

My husband's company Christmas party brought in The Bubble Man, the guy makes big bubbles and such - typically a children's entertainment choice in our community. The first half of his show consisted of amazing us with bubbles set to upbeat music. The second half consisted of many lewd comments and adult humour.

I wasn't the only person in the room unimpressed with this turn on the show. I think there maybe is a perception of innocence attached to "children's entertainers" and the shock the crowd felt wasn't the effect the company party organizers were looking for.

It's a different form of Children's entertainment than balloons, but once I read the earlier posts, I thought it gave a perspective from someone in the crowd.

Kristine

Kris
Bounce View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

12-07 *

Quote Bounce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2005 at 8:19am
So far I see good points in every answer here. While I did vote yes I did so only because the question stipulated "adults only bar". One of the very few venues I feel appropriate for this type of twisting. While I would attempt a figure of this sort, I, too, would not feel comfortable doing it and would try to avoid the situation. There is something about going to a bar for entertainment that adjust the expectations of people. Even those that would loose respect for you in a setting where children may be present may think nothing of it in the local watering hole.
 If someone feels comfortable doing this in a family setting, then by all means do so. but don't be surprised if your asked to leave. I know of a twister that lost several restaurants because he got a lot of complaints that he was telling blonde jokes. I'll bet that some of those same people that complained wouldn't have done so in a bar.
 As far as Tim Allen, most people I know never knew that he did off color stand-up comedy. He is mostly associated with "Home Improvement" where he occassionally pushed the boundaries of "acceptable" humor but never crossed the line. One of my favorite comedians has always been Eddie Murphy, who used a LOT of language that was more than off color but who always had a great story line. His comedy would have been funny without the language. I AM NOT impressed with so-called comedians who depend on raunchy language to be funny.
 I think Kris' experience is an interesting one to think about. The biggest mistake he made was to mix two very different types of entertainment. He broke continuity which shocked the audience when the change was made. Shock value has great benefit in entertainment but there should be some kind of continuity. I believe this can be applied in a "family setting". When people see us making "family" style balloons and then suddenly a Blue Balloon appears it can offend those who may not be offended in an "adult only setting". I've seen it happen and if everyone will stop to think about it most of you have probably seen it in some form.
 While I have, regretfully, never been able to attend any of the twisting conventions I do try to keep up with follow ups on different sites. Kenton, I have to say, that, speaking as a "child of the 70's" I loved your Cheech and Chong. I've tried to twist them myself but can't seem to capture the character as you did. You captured them VERY well. As you say it was an industry event where limits are raised a little higher. (I'm quite sure  you wouldn't have made them  at a childrens  party. The humor would have been lost on them anyway.) However I don't think we can equate two old hippies to two dogs...well, you get the picture.

Robert
Friend of Dale Obrochta, Chicago Keynote Speaker
magicgeorge View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Moderator (UK) - Author, ebook

Quote magicgeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2005 at 10:27am
I clicked "sure, why not" too. I wouldn't do it, not my style but as something totally unconnected to kid's entertainment it could work, although for adults I'd still prefer to get laughs from geniunely funny jokes rather than easy laughs from the blue.
What Kris saw The Bubble Man do, I find unacceptable. If you want to do lewd adult work aswell as kids work you they should be totally seperate.
Different venues, different costume, different name, different character.
George
Kris View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
11-09

Quote Kris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2005 at 1:12pm

Different venues, different costume, different name, different character.

Good point, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it if he had been booked under a different name!

Kris
Twister
Twister

Quote kentonkruger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2005 at 6:30pm

Little follow up from me

THanks for the comment Bounce, and thanks to the rest of you for keeping this civil. On BHQ a couple years ago they had this discusion and it got ugly, quick.

As for the Cheech and Chong comment, I brought it up because at the convention, I overheard (no one was gutsy enough to say it to my face) several people say it was "disgusting", "rude", "offensive", etc. because of the joints in their mouths. There will always be people who think something is worth complaining about no matter the setting.

As someone who does this type of performance a couple times a year, I must point out that with the way mainsteam entertainment has gone in the last few years, just being blue does not get an "easy laugh" anymore. In fact, I find it harder to work the crowd succussfully when doing this type of material.

Kenton Kruger

LouLou View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber
03-12

Quote LouLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2005 at 6:35pm
i would do it, if i were funny enough. i'd end up looking like a fool holding these kinds of things without knowing what to say.  i would have no problem watching some one else doing it but for me, i just wouldn't know what to do with it.
Mack View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2005 at 7:03pm
I do not do the obscene nor are any of my jokes.  However, it's the parents who tip.  My humour is a bit more urbane to adults than children.  I have read childrens jokes. They are not me so I don't use them.  95% of my lines are original so in order to steal a line it has to fit.  I have never done an adults only party but have been asked to bachlorette and sorority parties as well but declined do to the nature of the events discribed.  I know several balloonist who do these events and my feeling is more power to them.  BTW.  Face painters, you were aware of those in your field who do body art?
Twister
Twister

Quote kentonkruger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2005 at 7:28pm

Hey Mack, have you ever seen a can of worms you didn't want to open?

Kenton Kruger

Bob Balloon View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
04-10~

Quote Bob Balloon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2005 at 6:00pm

I am by no way a prude and would not condemn anyone for twisting the risque however it is just not for me.  I don't mind the odd rude joke but draw the line in front of children and as I twist predominantly for kids I do not feel any need or want for adult comedy twisting.

BOB

The twister from down under.
BOB the BALLOONER
Twister
Twister

Quote Jim Mitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2005 at 7:29pm

Thank you to EVERYONE! for conducting the kind of calm rational discussion I hoped for when I created this poll.

This is exactly the information I was looking for.  I personally do not have a problem with "Blue" humor as long as it is in a very appropriate setting, which is why I stipulated an "Adults ONLY" comedy club.

I was toying with the idea of putting together a routine for open mic night at the "Velveeta Room" on 6th street in Austin.  As the name implies it's an intentionaly "Cheezy" venue and "Blue" humor is pretty much the norm.

It's also populated mostly with drunken college students from UT.

After reading everyone's imput I think that it would be okay as long as I adopted a totally different persona and costume from my regular balloon twisting persona.

I would never want to jeapordize my reputation as a children's performer though, so in the end I'll probably not do it...

~Poppa Jim Mitchell
P.J.T. View Drop Down
Twister
Twister
06-07

Quote P.J.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2005 at 11:24pm

Hi all...

One of the things I liked most about "twisting" was that it brought joy to children and my fellow residents in our retirement community...

I volunteered to make balloons for the employee appreciation picnic... I made a cute little monkey for one of the kitchen staff... Later I found myself totally embarrassed when I turned around and saw him making obsene jesters toward one of the other kitchen staff using the tail of the monkey... need I say more???  There were children present at this function !!! 

The sad part of life today... some "sick" people will even take an inocent figure and "twist" it into something the rest of us wouldn't even think about...

I quit making balloons for the rest of the day... I was sick... 

To this day... neither employee will look me in the eye when I pass them in the hall or dining room...  I feel like we all lost on that deal...

Just my two cents worth...

"The Balloon Fairy"...  P.J.

Keep on Smiling !!!
Kaimana Blue View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

10-10~

Quote Kaimana Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2005 at 4:02am

Twisting for an "adults only" party, probably not for me. Only because my primary audience is kids. There is a clown in the area that crosses the line a little too close at kids parties. I've heard mixed reviews about his performance, but still is a popular entertainer.

P.J.T. - Sorry to hear about the bad experience. Something simular happen to me also and I don't know who the "blue" twister is. I created an old man with a cane. (father time) You can guess what the cane was used for. Being the only balloon twister in the company, I was being singled out. But the company knows that I would not do anything like that. I was a little upset as to what the person did. And the company always gets free balloon samples from my practice sessions at home. Now I'm just a little more careful to the construction of sculptures so it doesn't get re-arrange to be something else.

Bounce View Drop Down
Twister
Twister

12-07 *

Quote Bounce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2005 at 8:56pm
  A funny thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago that I just remembered and this is probably a good place to put it. Some of you know that I recently moved from Oklahoma to Florida. I had kept my cell phone number from Oklahoma till I got loose ends tied up. I got a call from someone who had gotten my card from a friend. He wanted me to show up to his sisters birthday in clown and twist ballons then end by stripping for her. Now, I don't do that at all but I had to laugh as I NEVER thought that I would ever be asked that.

Robert 
Friend of Dale Obrochta, Chicago Keynote Speaker
 Post Reply Post Reply