Articles
FAQs
Advanced Search
Links
Staff Writers
Press Releases
Glossary
Social Bookmark
Add to: Mr. Wong Add to: Digg Add to: Del.icoi.us Add to: Reddit Add to: Jumptags Add to: Upchuckr Add to: Simpy Add to: StumbleUpon Add to: Slashdot Add to: Netscape Add to: Furl Add to: Yahoo Add to: Blogmarks Add to: Diigo Add to: Technorati Add to: Newsvine Add to: Blinkbits Add to: Spurl Add to: Google
Social Bookmarking
Administrator
Syndicate
Archive

Here are the Archived entries for 05 2008

Your Call Script
Written by Dean Gilbert   
May 28, 2008 at 10:55 PM

When you show up for your appearances, do you have to ad lib? Do you wonder which trick to show, which balloon character to twist, which juggling trick to show next? Probably not. Hopefully your appearance is carefully planned to carry the audience along with you, giving you the confidence of a controlled situation.

So why should your first impression be any different? When a potential client calls they expect you to know what you do and how much you charge. That’s not asking too much. So when the questions start, do you fumble around for answers, trying to explain your act and your terms? Let me tell you the messages you might be sending: I am disorganized, I am new at this, I don’t get much business, I’m not very confident. Underlying theme: I’m not very good. Okay, thanks, I’ll think about it. You hope they’ll call back. But you know that you don’t get many second calls.

The sales process begins with qualifying. Qualifying is making sure you match a product or service and a client correctly. So the caller shouldn’t be the only one asking questions. You should have a brief description of your work ready, as well as the rates that apply. But, before you start quoting these, as early as you can in the call, move into your questions. These should be as scripted as your descriptions. What factors affect your type of work and rates? Age and size of the audience, length of performance, type of event, venue, and location may all play a role. Whatever factors you need to account for, ask about them.

Here’s a typical call for me. I use a cell phone number as my business phone number. Whenever a call comes in from someone I don’t know, I simply answer “This is Dean.” This sounds businesslike without confusing anyone making a personal call. I advertise as Dean Gilbert, so clients know they have the right number. The rest of the example speaks for itself.

Caller: Hi, I’m calling to find out about your magic shows.

Me: Okay, what type of event are you planning?

Caller: It’s my daughter’s eighth birthday party, and she says she too old for a clown.

Me: I understand that.  What is the date?

Caller: It’s Saturday, June 7.

Me: That date is open for me. How many will be attending?

Caller: Probably around ten and a few adults.

Me: All the children around eight years old?

Caller: Yes.

Me: And will this be in your home?

Caller: Yes, in our basement.

Me: Well, for small parties I have a special rate, since I don’t have to carry sound equipment. I charge xx dollars. How did you hear about me?

Caller: From your ad in the magazine.

Me: That qualifies you for a discount of x percent. That would bring your total down to xx dollars. To book me, just request a contract. I’ll fill in as much information about the event as I have, and send it to you. You fill in any missing information and send it back to me with a deposit.

Caller:  Alright, why don’t we do that.

Me: Let me get your contact information, then.

This is the ideal, of course. There will be additional questions. Be ready to vary from your script as needed, then steer the conversation right back. A side benefit of a script is screening. When you know what questions a caller is likely to ask, you can script those answers into your talk. When you know what information you need to plan successfully you script those questions into your talk.

Variations from the call script can set off red flags, warning you about potential problems. Right now I am dealing with a possible client whose claims her business wants her to pay me by credit card, not company check. She will not communicate with me unless I threaten to cancel. I will sometimes waive a deposit, but not for this client. Earlier in my career I took a call that had some pretty odd elements. I had asked for contact information. Sure enough, I couldn’t get an answer at the phone number, and the whole thing turned out to be a hoax. So the properly handled call can save you from losses.

Remember that your script doesn’t have to be fancy. Just the questions you need to ask to offer the right service and price, plus the description of the service you will offer. And maybe a little closer like a discount you offer toward the end of the call to sell before they hang up.

I want to impress you with one other technique for the call. Have a set of blank questionnaires ready near your phone. As soon as you know you have a prospect on the phone pick up a pencil and start filling in blanks. The questionnaire will prompt you, and as your memory fades you will have all the details of the call at your fingertips.

Let your clients know exactly what they can expect. Make sure you know exactly what you need to know. Show your confidence and professionalism When that phone rings, follow your call script and lead your client right into a successful event.

More about the Author Dean Gilbert

Marshmallow Shooter
Written by Dale Obrochta   
May 23, 2008 at 12:28 PM
You need 2 white balloons to make the marshmallow shooter and some clear and white balloon scraps to add detail if you like.

1. Inflate and tie one 260 balloon leaving a 3-inch tail.
  2. Starting at the nozzle make a 1 -inch apple twist.

3. Leave approximately 3-inches and make a single ½ -bubble which will twist into a pinch twist.

4. Make a second ½ -bubble and twist that into a pinch twist.  Align the pinch twist so they are nestled side-by-side.

5. Make a 3-inch bubble and bend the balloon to form a 180 degree angle. Give the bend a good squeeze and when released you should have created a 90 angle in the balloon.

6. Approximately ½ -inch from the 90 degree bend make two ½ -inch pinch twists like you did in step 4 & 5.

7. After the two pinch twist make a 3-inch bubble followed by two ½ inch pinch twist. 
  8. The remaining part of the balloon will be the barrel of the marshmallow shooter.
  9. Inflate the second white balloon leaving a 5-inch tail.
  10. Starting at the nozzle make a 1-inch apple twist followed by a 3-inch bubble.

11. Take this 3-inch bubble and twist it into the last pinch twist prior to the barrel of the marshmallow shooter.

12. After twisting the handle into the nozzle (step 11) make a 1-inch bubble followed by a 3-inch bubble which will be bent at a 90 degree angle.  See step 5
  13. Approximately ½ -inch form the 90 degree bend make two ½ -inch pinch twist like you did in step 4 & 5.
  14. The remaining balloon is the mouth piece.  Remove excess balloon so the mouth piece is even with the marshmallow shooter handle.

To add details: Use a clear balloon and make two ½-inche twists and attach that to the barrel of the gun. Measure about 4-inches for the two pinch twist and cut and tie the clear balloon.  Inflate a scrap of white balloon tie the end of the clear balloon to the nozzle of the clear balloon.  Make an apple twist using the clear balloon going into the white balloon. Cut and tie the white balloon around the clear.  This will be the marshmallow flying out of the gun.

New Video in Dale's Blog
Written by Administrator   
May 21, 2008 at 01:45 PM
Video of Magical Balloon-dude Dale being interviewed on ABC News in Dale's Blog
Your favorite balloon store is now on facebook. Come learn about the newest products, videos, and discounts at mbd2.com store. Simply go to the mbd2.com balloon store page and click like.  Still hungry for more information about the mbd2.com and the balloon entertainment business? Sign up for the mbd2.com update notice right on the front page of the mbd2.com store fan page.  Don't wait any longer - lets do it now.
Polls
Which do you use the most for Social Networking?

Who's Online
We have 26 guests online

On-premise promotions
Call Dale today!
(708) 744-0234

Balloon Supplies

GrandOpeningHelp.com

Dale's Blog Categories

Balloon Animal Instructions
Balloon Animal Review
Balloon Animal Supplies
Balloon Animals